Wednesday, September 18, 2002

Yea so class was okay...I hadn't read for Comm Research as I should have so I was kind of unprepared. She said Freybotanandkreps 5 times today (We keep a tally...long story, maybe later.) Comm Research was kinda fun.

We watched On The Waterfront in Film today. It disturbed me.

The film is supposed to be an allegory for HUAC and the McCarthey hearings. The mobsters depicted in the film are supposed to be the Communists. But I saw them as HUAC, and I saw them as something else too.


I saw the mobsters as America...not the current America, but the America that we're leading up to. People are increasingly becoming sheep, like the longshoreman in the film who were "D&D" or Deaf and Dumb. and the mobsters...well they reminded me of our current Administration because they are bullies to the rest of the world. Of course, I kinda identified with Terry Malloy...he was kinda dumb but in the end, he was a force of nature against the tide of wrong. I'm trying to be that tide.

No comments: