Monday, November 18, 2002

Alright, I figure I should talk about my personal feelings on Homeland Security.

I'm recently turned 21. For 19 years 11 months, I lived in an America that felt safe. I believed the world loved us. I enjoyed the many personal freedoms that make others want to come here and are so engraved on the Statue of Liberty: "Give us your tired, your lonely, your huddled masses yearning to be free" (or something like that.)

Then there was September 11th and my world came crashing down. I bet everyone else's did too.

I admit that I want to feel safe. People who here me talk say that I should be all for things like Operation TIPS, the Citizen Corps, Homeland Security, and etc. People tell me I should watch what I say. People tell me to shut up. And recently, I had signs of mine removed from my dormroom door and the door itself slashed. My roommate has discovered that our floormates ignore him as well for my outspokeness.

I've decided, and I suppose this is a very personal decision, that I regard my freedoms more than my safety.

I refuse, absolutly and defiantly refuse, to live in fear of ANYONE. That's how terrorists win.

Thankfully, the government agrees.

However, the government exploits the public's fear. Scholars have written about this for decades. When government says "We must take this right to protect you," which has essencially been done in several cases, terrorism still wins. Terrorism's purpose is to inflict some type of policy change. The curtailment of civil liberties in order to protect a fearful public is always a result of terrorism.

Americans, after this recent attacks on NYC and DC have equated "protection" with "patriotism." It's why in January, the country will shift to the right for two years and quite possibly a real long time after that. Voters voted fear. It's why Saxby Chambliss (R-Ga...note to self..never visit Ga) beat Max Cleland. Voters November 5th voted fear, exploited by a party that used to be a noble conservative party, but now has been overrun with special interest groups and corporate thugs. Because this terrorism we're experience is so extreme, it's difficult to find a neutral ground to view the changes with. You're either with the majority, or you're a terrorist.

I'm obviously not with the majority. Like I said, my freedom is more important than my safety.

From what I'm hearing about the Homeland Security Bill , there are serious threats to our civil freedoms...even more threats then the Patriot Act. I can't want to be safe while watching my cherished Constituition get run through the shredder. (Never mind the stuff that has nothing to do with homeland security...that stuff pissed me off, and I'll have a full post on them at a later date...especially the rider about the Hepatitis vaccinne...grrrrrr ....they've been poisoning us...but back on topic)

What a dilemma. Non-action invites more terror. Action still invites terror and causes more pervasive government.

I'm confused as to what the government should do, but I'm clear on what I should do. #1. I ain't afraid. #2. I won't let my freedom be taken away by ANYONE. and #3. Those who give up liberty for a little bit of safety deserve neither.

No comments: