Monday, December 30, 2002

2003 Predictions

Blogging will be light over the next few days until I figure out what I'm going to do with the rest of my Christmas Break. Colleges really shouldn't give 6 weeks off. You don't get that in the real world. Don't they know all that free time makes me go nuts?

Anyway, here are my predictions on what I think will occur in 2003. And thank god 2002 is almost over. It was way too tense, and all that tension made me unfocused. And if you want to know how I came to my conclusions, well, you'll just have to use your imagination. I'm not revealing my secret.

1. War and Peace:

I'm sorry to say that we'll be at war with Iraq, complete with a march on Baghdad, by the time my brother graduates from high school (June 12th or there abouts). You can only blast out rhetoric for so long until either the public gets bored or demands action. And 2004 looms. And so do the thousands that will probably die on both sides. Sigh. At least I've accepted it now.

North Korea will make lots of noise, but in the end I believe they will get what they want, which is our attention. Unless, the Administration continues to ignore them, which we do at our peril, and the peril of South Korea and Japan. Russia is too busy with Chechnya to deal with the North and China is busy being China.

At the same time, the War on Terror will continue, as it must. Unforunatly, with Russia and Israel pursuing their own global wars on terror, I forsee an ill wind. I've read that the time between Al Quaida's terror attacks is 18-24 months. We gotta be on our guard at all times, of course, but the period starting in March, we should be especially vigilant.

The Israelis and the Palestinians will continue to blow each other up, since they really can't come to a peace. Sharon and Arafat really have to go if there's to be any progress. I'm highly critical of both sides for their tactics. And if that makes me an anti-semite for having the temerity to disagree with Israel's policies, then oh well.

2. American Politics

I'm still forseeing a Kerry run, but with Florida's Sen. Graham in the picture, things could get interesting.

Bush will continue to aggravate me.

So will Democrats, who still remain spineless. I am an organ donor. But if something awful should happen to me, my spine goes in the ground with me. They can grow their own spines.

3. Storms

I like weather, hehe. It will be stormy in the Northeast this winter. I expect at least one really big snowstorm (we've already had two previews this December) and a really big nor'easter. It's an El Nino year.

I think the East Coast will be spared a hurricane this coming summer, but Florida might not be so lucky.

Scientists still won't agree whether the Earth is warming or not. (It is warming, it has been since the last Ice Age. Humans are probably accelerating the warming that would have occured naturally. Simple as that.)

4. Economy

Still sluggish. And if that tax burden gets shifted to the poor, then the economy will never improve.


That's all I have.

No comments: