Friday, December 6, 2002

a note to our viewers: the permalinks do not work if you log onto the site using www.terstorm.org. Thus the reason I plan on moving to Movable Type in February or March (whenever I get my tax refund back). You will have to use terstorm.blogspot.com if you want to link to any entries here.

Affirmative Action Revisted

The comments section in the Affirmative Action post are interesting and enlightening.

On one side, the issue of reverse discrimination was bought up. Affirmative action, in some cases, does do that, most notably in higher education. Chaz (email unknown, but I do know he's a fellow Marauder) writes:

"We all should prove ourselves. No one gets a head start, and no one should get an advantage. I have never treated another race poorly, and therefore I do not expect to be treated that way either."


Agreed. I feel the exact same way. Other than that five-second feeling of snideness that I get upon hearing of reverse discrimination (which is wrong of me, so don't flame me on it), I've never wronged anyone due to color, etc.

John writes:

"To continue affirmative action will only erode what precious little harmony we have already achieved, what it will foster is greater bigotry."


I'm not too sure if I agree. I can see where resentment can arise. I can also see how someone with little tact can tell someone "you got this job only because you're a [insert minority group here]. That would make anyone feel horrible, trust me I know.

This is my school's affirmative action policy:

Millersville University is committed to assuring equal opportunity to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, age or disabled status.

This policy extends access to admissions and employment within the University and is in compliance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Civil Rights Act of 1991, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.

No mention of quotas. But it seems to be good for everyone, not just black people.

In all honesty, affirmative action is a necessary part of American society. And as Sean-Paul Kelly over at the Agonist has stated, it begins to right a historical wrong. Its intent was to level the playing field- which it IS doing. And because nothing in this world is ever perfect, it has been abused in some cases which is wrong. But on the whole, it has done a whole lot of good. Would Condoleeza Rice have her doctorate? Would Clarence Thomas be on the bench? Would Elaine Chao have her job? How about Colin Powell? Or Christie Todd Whitman? Or Katherine Harris? Karen Huges? and etc. . . I could go on for pages.

See? It does way more good then people think. And, it seems to be good for everyone, not just black people. Women get in on it too. That's a good thing.


Kvetch away.







No comments: