Wednesday, December 11, 2002

Observation on Myself

I've been awful bellicose lately.

To make a long post short (I have to go slip-and-slide to a group meeting, oh what fun), I don't think I'm a pacifist anymore.

That DOESN'T mean I won't view military events with a hefty dose of skepticism. I'm still going to ask "What's in it for me? How will this keep the nukes out of my country? And just where is that bastard Osama?"

Because to be honest, if we went to war with North Korea or Saudi Arabia tomorrow, I would whole-heartedly support it, because those two regimes are nothin' but trouble. North Korea has never cooperated, and Saudi Arabia is governed by a corrupt and two-faced royal family. Iraq? Well, I don't know how welcome Americans will be (That Iraqi weblog has vanished. . . a disturbing development), and I don't know what Al Qaida has planned for the outbreak of war ( I'm sure they're ready and waiting), and I don't know if we are merely interested in their oil (part of me still says the oil weighs heavily), but Saddam, and his Baathist Party, needs to go. Exile, prison, death, I don't care. It was bad enough we helped him in the '80s. Now we can right a past wrong. I guess I'm giving lukewarm support to removing Saddam from power. Very, very lukewarm. Tepid, even.

I have a feeling Iran will reform itself. Before the Shah, and Ayatollahs, the country was pretty secular.

And since I'm on this rant of bellicosity (is that even a word? it is now. . .) and since I've pretty openly stated on other sites that I enjoy our superpower status and that we should use it for good (again, definitions of good may vary), it's time to get this lunatic of a leader. This lunatic has committed crimes against a minority of his country. He's removed them from their land. And now his country is faced with famine. In addition, his Administration has become increasingly authoritarian. I'm talking about President Mugabe of Zimbabwe. Here's a sample: Mugabe seizing grain.

Nothing but destruction to show for land grab

Mugabe ruining public enterprises

Now some may say Mugabe is merely "righting a historical wrong" with his intiatives, the biggest being the seizing of land owned by white farmers. Those farmers used to oppress the people of Zimbabwe back when it was called Rhodesia. That was wrong. But those same farmers feed that entire country now. And now they have no land.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Yes, Mugabe isn't a threat to us in the US. But he's a disgrace to humanity. He needs to go.


(gosh, im turning into a hawk. . . oh dear. see what finals week does to me?)


And when we're done changing the world, can we PLEASE get down to some good domestic policy? Like Health Care?

No comments: