Thursday, January 16, 2003

And someone explain this affirmative access thing to me. . . everytime I hear it it makes less and less sense.

And someone living in Florida, California, and Texas give me the lowdown on how your states have done without affirmative action in education. I know Florida and Texas have the "10%" rule. How's that working out for you? What are they doing in California as an alternative?

I ask this because a similar rule was proposed in Pennsylvania a few years back. It never got anywhere, and it won't because education in Pennsylvania is lopsided to benefit richer school districts, which ironically is in violation of PA's constitution. Pennsylvania's constitution requires that the state provide free and equal education. But because property taxes fund districts, and not the state, richer towns have better schools and poorer towns have crappy ass schools.

No comments: