Tuesday, January 14, 2003

So Joey, you've decided to run . . .


the stoRm gives this a big, exasperated sigh of utter disgust.

In 2000, the first Presidential election I was eligible to vote for, I very nearly didn't. I had a dull contempt for G.W. Bush (I thought he was a moron), and I wasn't going to vote for him because of what his team did to McCain, who I liked despite his conservative record. I didn't like Al Gore because he was uptight, and that whole "lockbox" spiel cemented my dislike for him. I considered Nader to be a vote for Bush, because he bascially took votes from the Democrats. America is a two-party system. . . been that way since Hamilton and Jefferson started it.

I voted for Gore, because I felt he was the "lesser of two evils."

If Lieberman gets the DNC nomination, I'm really going to have to dig down deep. I will not vote for Bush in the next election. . . the last two years of his presidency have turned that dull contempt into something bordering on rage. I believe, with all my heart and soul, that he is leading America on a path to endless war and terror with his misguided and heavy-handed foreign policy while the economy at home sputters and dies. The poor in America continue to be ignored, and they continue to get poorer.

I don't know if I could vote for Lieberman. Too often he's bent over for the opposition, too often we've had to put up with his whiny concessions, and too often he's told his own party that they are wrong, even when they aren't. I find him spineless, sniveling, and utterly annoying.

I also don't know if I could vote for a Green. They barely get 5% of the vote. Our current political system doesn't really allow for more than two parties, and more often then not I don't agree with the Green's liberal politics.

I don't know what I'm going to do. A Bush-Lieberman matchup may make me stay home in November 2004. And I predict that if that matchup occurs, the 2004 election may have voter turnout that barely cracks 45%.

No comments: