Wednesday, April 23, 2003

I think I may have been a bit knee-jerk to Senator Santorum.

Yes, he does get more shrill with each passing year. But as someone pointed out to me in conversation, he has an interesting point: what can and cannot be legal and condoned in terms of sexual activity. Obviously, polygamy cannot. Obviously neither can incest.

However, being that he is a conservative, he equates homosexuality, a biological phenomenon, with a threat to the "traditional family".

I've never understood this logic.

So I have a challenge to any conservatives out there ( and I hope someone picks this up and gets it public.):

Without using the Bible or any form of religious morality, please define why, for example, allowing gays to marry, will destroy the traditional family. What is the big threat? How will the family be destroyed?

I feel that there is no threat. Straight people are going to keep on getting married and making babies. Their straight babies are going to grow up and make more families and lots more babies.

So there's my challenge, and my opinion.

No comments: