Thursday, May 22, 2003

I think I've mentioned my ire with American Idol before, but on the Preview Channel (on cable), there was a cellphone commercial that made me shriek. It was about a deal for text messaging (a concept I really don't understand...I just joined the Cellphone crowd last weekend and its already a pain in the butt). Here's the text (approximate)

(Cue Patriotic Music)

(Announcer...a cute blond thing thing wearing all pink...)
-BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH AND NOW YOU CAN USE YOUR CELL PHONE TO VOTE ON IMPORTANT ISSUES, LIKE WHO'S GOING TO BE OUR NEXT AMERICAN IDOL.-

I about hit the ceiling. First, I freaking hate that show. I've seen people cry....yes...CRY over their favorite contestants not get the top slot. Actually, no, I don't think hate is quite strong enough.

But the fact is that 250 million votes were gathered by that godawful show with those talentless hacks. That's nearly the entire US population. (Now, people voted three times, as was allowed, but it's still unacceptable).

Yet Americans cant even get their asses to the polls and 50% turnout is a GOOD year. That is unacceptable. Period.

Let's be realistic folks. American Idol is inane and moronic. It's NOT THAT IMPORTANT that it needs to get 250 Million Votes. However, this DEMOCRACY is. I shouldn't even have to say this. Get the hell out and vote, damnit!

No comments: