Thursday, June 12, 2003

DRC UPDATE

Oh. My. God. Please pass this on, (via Matthew Yglesias, created by Gary Farber)

A REACTION. To a post elsewhere about the Congo:
I've written a lot about this.
And I have a very simple take. Perhaps it's too simplistic, but there it is.
Substitute the word "Jews" for "Lendu" or "Hema."
Then say, gee, gosh, it would cost a lot to save them.
Tough luck if millions die, because it's expensive, it's awkward, it's tough, to save them.
Bye, bye, Jews. Too bad. It's expensive to save them. It's expensive to save you black people, you Hema, you Lendu. It's tough to keep track of your names, even. Even your clan, your tribe, your people.
Bye-bye. Die in peace. Die by the thousands. Die by the tens of thousands. Die by the hundreds of thousands. Die by the millions. I have fast food. Bye-bye. I don't need to go to trouble. Bye-bye. Die well. Bye-bye. My conscience is untroubled. I could have saved you for a few days of work, but I don't want to be troubled. Bye-bye. Bye-bye.
Die well.
I can't be bothered to take a few minutes or hours to help stop it.
Bye-bye.
Die well.
Die.


People wonder why I take Congo so seriously. Remember, if we're going to say "Never again," then we better freaking mean it.

Otherwise. We. Are. Hypocrites.

No comments: