Saturday, July 5, 2003

Everytime I've tried to wrap my brain around our government's decision to suspend all military aid to nations that won't grant immunity to Americans if they're bought before the International Criminal Court, I just get really angry, incoherent, and then I get the urge to scream.

Except that's not really how I feel. Instead, I get really, really tired. Like all the energy has been drained from my body.

Let's call it: Outrage fatigue.

Here's the list:

The 35 countries which have signed or ratified the Protocol but have refused to sign Article 98 agreements include key South American countries, including Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, and Venezuela; Belize and Costa Rica in Central America; Bulgaria, Croatia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Serbia, Slovakia, and Slovenia in Europe; Benin, Central African Republic, Lesotho, Malawi, Mali, Namibia, Niger, South Africa, Tanzania, and Zambia in Africa; Fiji and Samoa in the South Pacific; and the island countries of the English-speaking Caribbean.


Oh, and weren't a bunch on that list helping us with the War on Terror? And a bunch were "New Europe." And it also cuts off other support as well. Like hurricane relief. I guess the American government won't be helping Belize or the Caribbean island nations if they get smacked with a Cat. 5 hurricane this hurricane season. Bummer. Shoulda' signed.


Bummer for "New Europe."

Bummer for nations that have suffered under Al-Quaeda terrorism, like Tanzania. Yea...sorry. Bummer.

Come the fuck on. We're a better fucking country than this. Christ Jesus.

Body and Soul covered this much better than I did.

No comments: