Wednesday, August 13, 2003

Thesis Update

Thesis Update

I haven't done much real work on writing the thesis, as the topic area still isn't fully nailed down. I have been reading extensively about Fascism and religious Fundamentalism.

The reading is taking me to places I hadn't considered, or imagined.

For example: I've written a few cursory pieces on the rise of Hindu fundamentalism and the fascist undertones it has. It's apparently much deeper...there are at least three books written on the subject on sale at Amazon, and more planned. I'm just barely scratching the surface. Indian fascism is a thesis all on its own, but I'm still devoting a chapter to it.

Another example: The interwar period saw a lot of fascist movements develop worldwide. Many were unsuccessful but all were unique to their home country. This makes classifying fascism difficult, I think. I do need to read into this more...especially Weimar Germany, although my thesis is modern, present-day.

A good history of fundamentalism was The Battle for God by Karen Armstrong, although I think she apologizes for Khomeni a bit (my one nit with the book.)

I've also read efforts of American conservatives ( I haven't found it yet abroad...although I wouldn't be surprised) to reconstruct Hitler as a leftist. Sorry...incorrect. Fascism- especially Nazism- is always reactionary against the left and everything about it. It's even reactionary against the center. I could go into this more, but I'd probably just fall on deaf ears.

While there's tons written on Islamic fundamentalism and the "Islamofascist" threat it represents, there is very little on Christianity, and recent events have shown that all religions have that capibility for reactionary violence.

I'm not sure what I'm going to conclude, but I'll let you all know when I nail the idea down into an actual topic instead of the vague topic it is right now. It's not due anytime soon (I won't start the actual writing until January, hopefully) so it may be awhile. Lots more reading ahead.

I do know I want to continue studying this further in graduate school.

No comments: