Saturday, August 9, 2003

Young Black Democrat

A number of prominent bloggers are doing the rounds on Friday's NY Times article about young Blacks and how the Democratic Party needs to notice them as "more than just their base."

I couldn't agree more. And being in that age group: young (18-35), and Black, I figure I should comment.

*disclamer... although this is largely a criticism of the American electoral system, I am a member of the Democratic Party, at least on the local level here in Lancaster. Despite that, I can be honest in saying I'm increasingly dissolusioned by the national party. Not so fast though, if you're thinking I'm going to switch to the Republicans, think again because I'd rather dry-fist myself before I did any of that. And don't get me started on the 'other' parties. . . *

Before I make this a Black issue, I think I'll address the young issue first. As a whole, young people just are fed up with American politics and that's why as a whole, we don't vote(except those of us who are in the process of becoming snaky political operatives). Back in the day (and I'm not sure when that day was), it used to mean something. Today, we're turned off by the lies, the obfuscations, the snakiness, etc. etc. etc. We're quite the cynical bunch, and it'll just get worse as we age. Wait, that includes Blacks too. It works against us majorly...a good example is Pennsylvania's own Governor Rendell. Part of his campaign was raising the education budget. The Higher Education budget was slashed (although the Republican-held Assembly and Senate has to take some of the blame for this for downplaying Pennsylvania's deficit and generally refusing to compromise), causing the State System to raise tuition. Of course, they don't really pay attention to us kids (and especially us black kids) cause we don't vote.

Somewhere along the way, both Parties ceased looking at the issues of the actual people. Instead, both have concentrated on creating some kind of product and using that product to bash each other up with. When they need something, then, they'll "pander," meaning they'll come looking for help. Generally, it seems to be black people caught up in the middle. That's sad.

Our way of getting back is to sit home on Election Day. Again, not good. . . but look at what we have to put up with.

Prometheus Six has some thoughts.


Here's a metaphor for the choice between voting Democrat, Republican, or not at all. Let's say you're in a locked room that's empty save for a sword, and a filthy, excrement-encrusted towel. You know the door will be unlocked sooner or later, at least for a time. And you accidentally cut yourself deeply on the sword. Do you
a - bind the wound with the filthy towel? (vote Democrat)
b - plug the wound with the edge of the sword? - (vote Republican)
c - bleed to death? (don't vote at all)


Excellent metaphor.

To be honest, I think that the American electoral and party system is deeply flawed, and the elites of both parties fail to notice the fact that Americans in greater and greater numbers are staying home on Election Day. Until they notice, I personally will continue using the filthy towel, because ideologically I agree with the Democrats...that, and the general nastiness of quite a few Republicans I've met, seen on TV, or had comment on this site has all but turned me off to that party.




No comments: