Thursday, September 18, 2003

Identity

There's not much more I can say about miss Isabel except that it will probably rain, a lot, and there will probably be some wind. I think it's time to move on, well for me, at least. Until the pictures come out.

I'm currently drafting an editorial for next week's paper that will read something like this: my ethnicity is only a tiny part of my identity. What does this mean?

While I was in storm mode, I seem to have missed out on a discussion on "What it means to be a black blogger?" over at Promethus 6 and other sites I visit from time to time. I thought about it overnight, along with thoughts about racism and stuff like that, and decided that for me, it means very little. As I said before, my ethnicity has very little to do with my identity as a whole. I don't wake up in the morning and think "hmm, I think I'll act black today," although that's not what this is about. I suspect I came to this conclusion after being really tired of being talked down to, being asked for the "black" perspective, wondering if that rude lady at the mall was a bigot, wondering if that frat that slighted me was doing so based on skin color, people wondering if I'm in the remedial program for low-income students (aside about that, it's for low-income first gen. college students that IS disporportionally minority, but conservatives on this campus continually scream about affirmative action when the program is NOT an affirmative action program) and so on and so on. I just want to be considered and seen as a normal, All-American boy! Is that so wrong to ask for?

I'm interested in your thoughts.

No comments: