Sunday, October 26, 2003

Endorsements

We're in the last 10 days of this current Election Cycle. It's time for some endorsements.

This blog endorses:

Bill Saylor for Lancaster County Commissioner. I've had the immense pleasure of meeting him on many occasions, and doing fundraisers for him. He's well-established in the local community and I feel he'll do a great job working in nearly one-party rule Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. He's well liked by both Republicans and Democrats. Mrs. Saylor is a nice lady too.

For Millersville Town Council and mayor, I endorse all the Democratic candidates. I have a reason that for some is partisan, but for me, is not. You see, for many years the amount of cars on the main street leading into campus has grown. The Boro has tried to plow through the town's (and the county's) only remaining patch of decent riparian forest bordering the Conestoga River. The effort failed years ago. It's back, sadly, and the University seems to be backing it...thus adding to the Los Angelesization of Millersville and Lancaster County. One of the reasons I chose Millersville was for the immense natural beauty of the campus and town. This is in danger of being erased beneath some asphalt that won't alleviate the traffic problem. The Democratic candidates all want to preserve the open space. The Republicans don't. Very simple for me.

I'm not from Philadelphia, so I'm staying out of that mayor's race. I do predict that skin color will play a huge role in how the vote comes down...it's how it worked last time, and people of a certain skin color dominate within the city of Philadelphia due to that phenomenon that causes people of the other skin color to flee to the Main Line and other suburbs like South Jersey. For what it's worth, Katz isn't your typical Republican (he's pro-gay) and Street isn't your typical Democrat (he's pro-faith based initiatives...the President himself has praised Street's programs from time to time). Honestly I don't like either of them, but as I said, I'm not from Philadelphia. Just the Philadelphia area.

No comments: