Wednesday, October 29, 2003

Pax Americana

I didn't go to the DC protests Saturday. I was actually doing community service which is probably why I have this flu-like illness. While I commend anyone who exercises their rights as an American, I have to question their idealism. I was idealistic. . . once upon a time. . .

I think we need to face a difficult fact. We are in this for the long-haul. Those soldiers aren't comin' home soon, despite the ever-increasing expense and burden upon the United States. I've come to realize that 9/11 was the opening salvo in what later history will probably remember as the Pax Americana. And with bases all over the globe, America truly is "an Empire where the Sun never Sets."

It is generally American force, money, and knowhow that seems to go into most of the world's police actions. Peace is enforced in the world with American power. When America cannot do it for whatever reason, other "sheriffs" are called to task. Note Australia's recent intervention in the Solomon Islands, and the President's recent statements about Australia being the US's "sheriff."

Also note that it was the threat of American power that caused Charles Taylor to vamoose from Liberia. Also note that the threat of American power has made Iran much more cooperative. I don't know about North Korea yet. I honestly wouldn't trust their recent overtures, but again, power seems to be playing a role.

We need to be realistic, regardless of where in the politcal spectrum you lie. These years are the opening of the Pax Americana, whether you like it or not. We can't just cut and run. We also need to be realistic and honest and say as much: This is the Pax Americana. Personally, I'd have to say I don't like it. The previous two "Paxs" ended fairly badly.

No comments: