Sunday, April 3, 2005

TV That Doesn't Suck

Well, TV has become a vast void of nothing and nowhere. However there are a few gems out there. Here are my favorite shows. Some are cable, some network. I have them in Rank order.

1. BattleStar Galactica (SciFi, and maybe NBC)

This is perhaps the best hour of science fiction ever conceived. It is a reimagining of the orignal series that aired in the waning days of the 70s and is much much darker. Basic premise: the Cylons, mankind's creations, rebel and destroy the 12 Colonies of Kobol and 50,000 survivors (this number drops as the season continues) are left to fend for themselves. It is riveting drama. Less sci-fi techincal and more human (and Cylon, as they look like humans now......and they're psycho monothesitic fundamentalists too). The series is on hiatus until July. The season finale was the best sci-fi season finale to date . . . well, Star Trek TNG's "The Best of Both Worlds, Pt. 1" probably . . . nah, this was better.

If you don't have cable, get the DVDs when they are available. You'll be BLOWN AWAY.

2. Arrested Development (Fox)

I find this show hysterical and smart, which means it will be canceled. Quirky, smartly written, and the plot borders on absurdity in every episode. Basic Premise: Rich real-estate family becomes broke and hijinks result.

3. The Simpsons (Fox)

Always a favorite.

4. Stargate (and its spinoff, Atlantis - - - Sci-Fi)

I'm not sure why I like this show so much. It's held my interest for several years now.

5. Medium (NBC)

I didn't think I'd like Medium but I gave it a chance. Now I'm hooked. It's a strange show, but it's pretty good. Now if only NBC would bring back Boomtown . . . . . . . . . . .

6. Cold Case Files (A&E)

This show satisfies my need to know about serial killers. It's the new Unsolved Mysteries, a program that really needs to come back.

7. Murder She Wrote (in reruns on A&E)

This show is so corny.......yet I still tune in.

8. South Park (Comedy Central)

Do I need to give a reason?

9. The Weather Channel (The Weather Channel)

It provides lots of white noise that I use to block out my irritating roommates. Same goes for the Preview Channel. Seriously, try it. Alright so this isn't really a gem, but I do watch for hours on end especially when nothing is on.

Other shows that are worth watching are: Law and Order SVU(NBC), Monk (USA), The Dead Zone(USA), and on rare occasions, CSI (CBS).


What are your favorite shows?

No comments: