Friday, February 24, 2006

random

Okay, so there are these two commercials that absolutely irritate me on TV. Have you seen them? One is the Burger King "Cheesy" Commercial. The other is the "Urgent" Verizon Wireless commercial.

They make me want to scream. Last weekend that "Urgent" commercial was on every other commercial. If I owned a gun, I would have blown my TV away.

Oh, and at my new employee Orientation this wee (7-and-a-half-months post facto), I found out I can't really endorse any candidates here at "Terry in the Big City" due to the PA Civil Service Act which bans such things for Civil Service employees. However I where I work is federally funded, partially, so I'm also covered under the Hatch Act which does allow such things. So I'm covered under two conflicting laws. Now, for some reason (probably 10th Grade Government and Economics Class with Mrs. Hauger who got me interested in all things political in the first place), I believe Federal law trumps State law, so I guess that means I can endorse candidates here at "Terry in the Big City."

However I'll wait until I get some kind of promotion before I do anything like that.

I also, in recent days, took a look at a Capitol Heights townhome. Actually, I looked at the model homes on North Third St. They are out of my price range (and the ones up for resale are priced lower then the ones that are new. . . I find this odd) but I figured they were worth a look. They're pretty nice, well lit, decent size space. They appear to be better construtucted then the crowd on the morning bus thinks. However they do not have basements, and that is not a plus. The older townhomes in the area also have about 500 to 1000 sq. ft. more on average. However I made an appointment with their realtor to look at one of the completed homes that are empty.

As for the rest of my search, I've narrowed in on a tract of city bounded by Front, 7th, Reily, and North. Above Reily, I'm not sure if I would want to live much further east then Third . . . it is a neighborhood in transition but one downturn will end that transition.

That's all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep, that's the geography I'd pick. I keep thinking about Capitol Heights myself, as I like city living and have no interest in remodeling etc., but I didn't get far enough to know they don't have basements. I lived in a cellarless house, and I wouldn't do it again.

There are small sets of new townhouses being infilled in neighborhoods in the your zone. I've seen a couple at a distance and, on a Freecycling trip, an attractive-looking set of about four maybe a few blocks south of Reily around Green. These smaller projects are built within existing neighborhoods, look less self-conscious, and are probably cheaper. Oddly, I haven't seen any ad for new city townhouses that could be the ones I've seen.

I married a "country boy" two years ago and we compromised in a suburb, but I'm not even touching lawns, shrubbery, and leaves, and as soon as he gets sick of yardwork----