Saturday, August 16, 2003

Minor power fluctuations here in Lancaster, but we had some nasty storms go through.

I'm thinking the mind-boggling outage that occured two days ago could happen anywhere. I'm now stocking up on flashlights and boardgames so I'll have something to do.

A lot of people are knocking the deregulation that could be a possible cause to the failure of the Ohio transmission lines. Pennsylvania has done deregulation right. We mostly use old forms power generation, like nuclear power plants (I live near two, one is the infamous Three Mile Island), gas and coal powered plants, etc. We also use a few hydroelectric power sources and in Western PA, wind power (which private citizens can apparently use to make money.)

We survived without major looting. Now, I hope Congress changes its mind on blocking funding to upgrade the transmission lines and power grid. And I hope whatever gets built is ultra-secure.

No comments: