Wednesday, November 5, 2003

pennsylvania votes

Democrats did fairly well in Pennsylvania today. It really is no surprise that John Street will be mayor for 4 more years. If Katz had gotten Bush to stump for him, it would have been different. But, believe it or not, Bush is quite the fan of Mayor Street. . . he and the mayor see eye-to-eye on a number of issues, including faith-based intiatives.

It is unnerving although somewhat good that a third-party candidate for County Commissioner in Lancaster County came fairly close to taking the third seat, usually held open for the minority party (in this case the Democrats). Not the Green Party....the Constitution Party. Says a lot about Lancaster County, I think. (The Constitution Party people don't want a convention center downtown. They've been known to say "would the other commissioners let their wives walk downtown alone at night?" There is all kinds of context in that statement....never mind the fact that the Democratic seat on the County Commissioner board will likely be held by a woman, Molly Henderson. My guy lost.

The Green Party picked up a couple small local seats in Lancaster County, including the 1st and 5th Constable for Lancaster City (although held by only one person) and at least one township auditor seat.

Lancaster County, of course, remains overwhelmingly Republican. So, if you're a Republican and want to see how a mostly one-party place works, by all means move to Lancaster County, PA. They'd be happy to have you.

In addition, one of the special ballot questions (there were five) passed. It involved Child testimony in court cases. I did vote yes, although I have a feeling it may be thrown out because of the accused's right to confront ones accusers.
I never like ballot questions because I'm never prepared for them. I really need to do my homework pre-election...just for the ballot questions. I usually know which candidates I want.

No comments: