Sunday, May 23, 2004

Why I'm not writing

I still really bring myself to write anything substantial. I want, however, to point some light at this very nice and brilliant piece by Jeanne d'Arc over at Body and Soul.

I think this war is finally coming home to a lot of people. I now personally know people who will soon go over to that Hell. I wish them luck and safety.

You know, I never see yellow ribbons anymore. I'm still wearing mine on my bookbag. The old ribbon, now tattered, has been there since the war began over 13 months ago. It's barely yellow now.

The news that the inactive reserves were being activated also hit home too. No, my coast guard friend isn't going. But I'm sure they'll send others I know.

I don't know how much longer this hiatus will last. I really need to think about it. There's a Friedrich Nietzsche quote that I like:

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.


Just think on that for a moment.


Everybody who wrote...thanks for everything. I apologize for not writing back. It just hasn't been a good time here lately.

No comments: